Wednesday, April 23, 2008

D - Proud (& not so proud) Mommy Moments

Parenting is hard (in case nobody ever told you). There are plenty of days when I feel extremely inadequate and today was one of those.

This morning Katie yelled excitedly from her room for me to come in there. She proudly showed me how she had arranged all of her pillows on her bed. I said, "That's Beautiful, Katie! Now we just need to pull up your sheets and your quilt and put them just like this again and your bed will be perfect." I thought this was complimentary.........I was wrong. She immediately burst into tears. How mean am I? The first words out of my mouth were telling her how she didn't do it just right.




Noah, on the other hand, was wonderful. He came running into her room to see why she was crying. When I told him what happened, he immediately ran to her and gave her a hug. He told her how great she had done and that he couldn't have done it better himself. WHY, WHY, WHY could I not do that?????

Later that day, he made me proud again. I was pulling weeds back behind our rosebush in front of the house and pricked myself.

Me: "Ow!"

Noah: "What?"

Me: "Oh, nothing. I just poked myself while I was pulling weeds."

Noah: "Why didn't you have me do that?"

Me: "Noah, I'd rather me get hurt than you."

Noah: "Well, I want to be just like Dad. I want to do all the jobs that you don't want to do."

I'm so proud of him - AND my wonderful husband. I'm so lucky that he has such a servant-hearted role model in Mike.

At least one of us is doing something right.....

4 comments:

The Williams said...

What a sweet boy! I'm so glad Noah and Logan are such great friends. Don't fret, we all have those moments. You already know about mine. You do more right than you know.

Melanie said...

That is so sweet! Melts my heart, I hope my boys are like that.

You are a good mommy!

Unknown said...

You do realize that Noah is such a wonderful little boy b/c you are such a wonderful Mom!?

Cindy said...

You have wonderful children. They don't get that way on their own! I have to admit I have to bite my tongue alot when it comes to things being exactly right. I have learned to just accept the best they can do.