Thursday, January 3, 2008

D - Is your house a pit?

Because mine is! I have discovered a cycle. I'm noticing it as that this year because I KNOW for a fact that my New Year's resolution last year was to get myself organized. I did that because my house looked then just like it does right now. Ugh.

I've figured it out though. Because I am not one of those people who make it a point to have all my shopping done by Thanksgiving, I neglect my house for the entire month of December. Don't get me wrong, I don't plan on changing. I just can't get into the Christmas spirit prior to the day after Thanksgiving. Anything I purchase before then, I wind up giving early because it just doesn't feel like a Christmas present. But, because of the month of neglect my house feels during December, it is very painful to then bring in the ton of new items and try to find homes for them all. Ugh again.

Last year to help me solve this problem, I joined Flylady. It really helped. I am no longer on her email list, but she definitely made a difference in how I do things. I'm not panicking about my disastrous home this year, because I know that it will be clean before long since I'm working on it a little at a time. However, I do request no visitors in my home until February!

5 comments:

KT said...

Are you saying this only happens to you at Christmas? I feel like it happens to me every 3 or 4 weeks. Maybe I need this flylady but I refuse to clean my sink every night!

Cheryl said...

Yes Dana, even MY house has felt like it was a MAJOR pit lately! It will get better, I promise! Hang in there!

Ledbetter Fam said...

I am right there with you, girl!!! I was just talking to Dava Lynn about this. I get so frustrated, but I am having to focus on the things that do get done rather than all of the things that haven't been done. If anyone comes to my house, they will have to understand that it is a house of love that is lived in, not a model home that has no feeling or hominess to it. I have also looked at the Flylady stuff. It's a good concept.

JB

Cindy said...

No one will believe me if I told you my house is a pit. So here is how I handle it..I don't require much sleep so I stay up late and get up early to stay on top. As long as your family is ok with it do what you can and don't stress over it! :)

Melanie said...

I don't know your house was pretty immaculate when we crashed it!

My house is usually a pit. Have you not seen the background in my pics? It doesn't help that my boys love to play in their laundry basket so they usually dump their clothes everywhere! We also got a ball pit for Christmas and the balls are everywhere but in the ball pit!