Saturday, November 24, 2007

M - Backyard Barber

I've been cutting my own hair for about 10 years now and figure I've saved about $1250 in direct costs as a result (I seldom go more than three weeks without a cut). When my haircuts went to $8 (gasp!) with a military discount at Pro-Cuts, I decided to try out the barber shop on the base at Tinker. This worked pretty will until I no longer had a valid military ID. When I saw that 'normal people' haircuts were over $10 (back then) I couldn't believe it! There was only one obvious frugal choice...do it myself, of course. Now that I can skillfully cut my own hair and that cut NEVER varies, I figured I'd save even more money by taking care of Noah's hair. This venture hasn't been quite as successful as my own but we are learning. Mostly I'm just not very fast and that doesn't really help the whole process. The little booger gets too impatient. I also haven't quite figured out how to deal my son's curvy noggin'. Nonetheless, I get a little better each time. Plus it saves mom's time to not have to take him in. Since I only know how to cut one hairstyle, and that style is not particularly girl-friendly, mom says I need to stay away from Katie's cute little blonde mop. Anybody else out there choppin' at home?
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Audrey said...

Yup! I'm a choppin' at home! Every 3-4 weeks. If only Carson was as calm as Noah, I would probably do a better job.

Ledbetter Fam said...

Oh, Mike, I used to cut Wade and Lafe's hair. Wade was really good about it, but Lafe was a disaster. It never failed. I destroyed his hair everytime. Needless to say, we have decided that the money for haircuts has got to be in the budget. We do use coupons though!

JB

Amy said...

I have been cutting Rylan's hair since about 1. Occasionally I will go have it cut so it is has a shape and it is easier to follow. I used to cut Rob's too but well you know he hairdo now requires personal attention. The curvy noggin is a challenge. Rylan has four cowlicks and have gotten pretty good at those so you should learn over time. Good luck and happy cutting.