Wednesday, November 19, 2008

D - A Very Merry Unbirthday To Them

Since I've not been the world's best blogger lately (thanks to blog-lurker Kelsey for noticing), I managed to miss discussing both of my kids' birthdays this year! So, despite how loooonnnggg ago they were, I'll post now for posterity's sake.

I'm not a big fan of throwing birthday parties, so we've gone to an every-other-year party plan starting at the age of 6. Meaning, Noah had a party every year 1-5, so Katie will get that too, but then we're trading off so I only have to have 1 a year. On party years, they don't get presents from us because the party is their present (and they get tons from their friends), and on their off-year we buy presents and they get to pick one (or maybe 2) friends and do something fun like White Water or a movie or something. We'll see. Anyhow, this was the last year that I had to do 2 parties. Yay!!!!

Noah turned 7 in July and chose to have a bowling party this year. He's really been wanting a trophy for a long time now and the bowling alley gives you a bowling pin if you have your birthday there. Exciting! Since that's as close to a trophy as he's gotten so far, that was enough to convince him that's where his party should be. It was a good time, but not my favorite party ever. He really enjoyed it though, and had a great time hooking up with some of his school buds that he hadn't seen all summer.







When trying to decide what to do for Katie's 4th birthday party in September, I complained to Mike that it was always easy to pick themes for Noah's parties because there was always something he was obsessed with at each year making it obvious what we should do. We have had fishing, swimming, bugs and monster trucks over the years - all things he loves. With Katie though (I continued my complaint), the only thing she likes is horses. Ding, ding, ding!!! That's it! After much searching and a last minute suggestion from a friend, I finally found a company that would bring a darling little pony to my house.



And she LOVED it! Most of the kids at the party rode the pony once or twice and then played in the back yard. Katie, on the other hand, did nothing but ride and get back in line to ride again. She has asked me several times when that pony gets to come back to our house. It was really fun to see her so happy.



Looking back on it all now, both parties were a lot of fun, and I'm really glad we did them. I can't believe my babies are getting so big! They are two of the most precious gifts God has ever given to me, and I thank him every day for the honor of allowing me to be their mother.

1 comment:

Ledbetter Fam said...

I haven't posted about Lafe's birthday in Sept either. I was just thinking today that it might be too late now. You just gave me a reason! Thanks!!! I don't like doing big parties either. We just do very simple parties. I don't think David's family appreciates that very much, but they don't have to pay for the party!!!

JB