Monday, March 17, 2008

M - Treehouse update #1

So here's my job while the family is away on spring break --> Build a Treehouse. The goal here is to surprise the kiddos when they return from Houston. I'll be updating this project throughout the week as I make progress.

As a mechanical engineer, it pained me CONSIDERABLY to do my drawings and plans on paper! I used to be very proficient at CAD software and could have done this much more quickly and without going through so many erasers. This page, although very simple looking, is the result of many iterations of mounting options and working around the tree. The lowered landing to which the slide will connect will be the toughest challenge to make strong enough. I have an extra 4x4x12 that I hope to use to add an additional swing to the structure.

I officially started construction on this project on Sunday afternoon and made good progress over the course of several hours.

I started treating the wood on Saturday night. I've since put on three coats of the weather treatment. I chose not to purchase pressure treated 4x4's for the main support posts simply because the ones at Home Depot were still VERY wet from the treatment and pressure-treated 4x4's are NOTORIOUS for cracking and twisting. I couldn't run the risk of that happening.










To avoid pouring concrete, I used some really cool 4x4 post spikes for support. The ones I purchased are 30 inches. The other models were about 24 inches. I highly recommend them but I must admit that about halfway through the the first 30-inch spike I was thinking how much better cement would be. Apparently, there are some very solid roots below my first post location. Fortunately, the next 3 spikes took half the time of the first (no roots involved) and they are all very secure.










Getting things level









Hanging the curtain support beams









Joist hangers spaced perfectly, of course.


















My cordless drill battery died mid-project so I had to switch to my very old electric drill that has no reverse. I put the first two joist hangers in about 1/4 inch too high and had to back out eight 3" deck screws and eight 1" deck screws by hand. It took WAY too much time and my wrist and forearms just about gave up on me!



















I'm pleased with the first day of progress. The decking and bracing should go quickly but I'll slow down again when the railing goes up and the slide gets attached. Either way, I only have until Saturday to finish! The rain this week isn't going to help at all.

I almost killed myself getting this next picture. Ten seconds on the camera's auto-timer seems like so much time than it really is!

4 comments:

Dana said...

I'm so proud of you! They will LOVE it!

Chrissey said...

You're having a tree-house party when you're finished right?? Rielyn would LOVE to come over and play in it!! :)

KT said...

We thank you for purchasing lumber at HD!! I know the kids will be so excited! I've always wanted us to build one too but our trees are always too little. Good luck!!

Cindy said...

So...we know who to call when we are ready for a tree house! It will be several years before we have trees big enough to have a tree house...but maybe we could come over and borrow yours!