Tuesday, February 5, 2008

D - Yum! Pot pies!

Mike and I have recently started a couples journaling project that I saw on Oprah. It's really a great idea, and I'd be glad to share more about it if anyone is interested. Anyhow.....one of the things you do in this journaling is to ask your spouse a question. Nothing big - just something to talk about because conversation is good.

Disclaimer - Mike is BAD at food. In our early married life we came up with a politically incorrect term for his condition. He is Food Retarded. He never has ideas on what we should eat. He never remembers what he ate the previous meal. He has no knowledge of what I like. For example, I once asked him to stop and pick up hamburgers on his way home from work. He brought me a burger with mayo, tomatos and onions. This is the exact opposite of my order of mustard, cheese, pickles and lettuce. How could he really have no idea what I eat??? He no longer orders for us in drive-thrus; I shout from the passenger seat. But I digress.....

Back to the journal entry. My question for Mike that night was "What is your favorite meal that I cook?" I see the panicky look come across his face. He mentally fumbles around and comes up with taco soup (the meal I had cooked the previous night and that he had eaten leftover for lunch that day). I like taco soup a lot, but I vocalized that I was surprised it was his FAVORITE thing that I make. He agreed, and then his eyes lit up as he proudly said that he REALLY likes it when I make those pot pies. POT PIES? You mean the ones I buy from Schwann's??????

I'm never again asking a food-related question. It's entirely too painful..........for both of us.

5 comments:

KT said...

I'd like to know more about this journaling thing. Does it require you to write something b/c Travis will never do that!

Cindy said...

I am interested in learning more about the journaling. Jason and I are known by his parents as never communicating! I think they wonder if we live together sometimes.

NEIL and MARY said...

You left out the funniest part of that story. You should definitely tell about the DISASTER meal you served that spawned the question. - M

DeeDee said...

funny! guys can be clueless!

Jana Kay said...

I'd like to know more about the journaling too! :) It is funny how Travis loves all the simplest meals. When I come up with something really creative it is ALMOST as good as that dish that took me 10 minutes last night!