Friday, February 22, 2008

D - A Paradox

I had every intent of titling this post "Nursing Mom," and writing all about how sweet my son is. You see, 2 days ago I woke up with the stomach virus that is plaguing the OKC area. Ugh. It was awful. I couldn't get out of bed that morning (or all day for that matter), so Noah took care of Katie by getting her cereal for breakfast. Next, he came in with breakfast for me:



(Disclaimer***This pic is a recreation. I was too sick to get the actual pic on film!)


So sweet! Of course, I couldn't touch it, so I was happy every time Katie snuck in the room to "check on me" when she would steal a handful of Wheatables. That way I could lie (Sorry, Audrey! I didn't know this was such a bad habit of mine!) to Noah every time he was sad I hadn't eaten his breakfast and tell him that the crackers were really helping me.

Now for the paradox part. How is it that such a sweet, thoughtful boy can also be so conniving, misbehaving and mischievous?

Here's the background: Noah missed a week of school (about 3 weeks ago now) when he had a fever for 6 days. About a week ago his teacher told me that he has been getting into a lot of trouble ever since his return to school. Apparently he's acting very silly and his 2 best buds are following his lead. Ugh again.

Flash-forward to today. I was getting Noah ready for school and went to put his teacher's book in his backpack. When I opened it, I saw a bright yellow folder I had never seen before. It was titled "Behavior Folder. Return the next day." Did I already say "Ugh?"

Me: "NOAH!"

Noah: "Yes, lovely Mother, the light of my life?"

Me: "Where did this folder come from?"

Noah: (Head drops, shoulders sag) "Kindergarten."

Me: "When did you get it?"

Noah: "Yesterday."

Me: "And was there a letter or something in it?"

Noah: "Yes."

Me: "Where is it???"

Noah: "In the trash can in my room."

Me: "Booo Hoooo Hoooo Hoooo! Where did I go wrong?" or maybe just "Show me!"

Anyhow, apparently my son is not listening, thinks he is the teacher, and is acting quite silly. I made him write a letter to the teacher apologizing for his behavior (which apparently no child on earth has ever been forced to do before). Some sort of grounding will likely follow which I'm sure will destroy his life.

But, SERIOUSLY????? Who knew he could be so conniving at age 6???? In hindsight, I now recall that when he got home from school yesterday he emptied his own backpack and said "Here's all of my stuff for today." That had never before been done. I guess I just didn't realize how quickly I would be required to match wits with him. Sadly, I am, of course, disappointed in him, but I'm also a little proud. I mean, how smart is he? He almost got away with it on his first try.....or, at least, I HOPE it was his first try!

3 comments:

K said...

I am going through the same thing with Molly, however she is only in Pre-K - didn't know it started that young! We're having daily reports on her listening skills and behavior as well. It's very stressful so I'm right there with you on "What did I do wrong!!" Of course, I blame Peter. His mom says he was this way too. Great..

KT said...

Wow, that is sneaky. I'm pretty impressed. I am constantly amazed by how young they figure out deception. Do we teach them or is it an innate ability? Good luck w/ this guy. He's going to be fun to watch grow up!! He has such a sweet innocent face, you'd never guess he was deceiving you!

Ledbetter Fam said...

I feel the same way about Wade sometimes. You haven't done anything wrong. In fact, you handled that perfectly. I am so proud of you for making him write that letter. Teachers need to know that there are still some parents out there that care about whether or not their children are behaving. I got a letter from a little boy one time apologizing for arguing with me in the clinic. It was nice to see that he's being taught some kind of lesson.

JB