Friday, February 8, 2008

D - Grandpa Emmitt

The most beautiful man I've ever known passed away yesterday. My heart is broken - as are the hearts of my entire family and the many, many people whose lives he touched.

I'm staring at this screen now...trying to think of something adequate to say. I want to be poetic. I want to use words like truly great writers do. I want each and everyone who reads this to leave feeling like they knew him and like they too have lost a great treasure. Unfortunately, I'm not a gifted writer. I'm not a poet. And I have the flu, so even my usual brain isn't functioning like I want it to.

But I'm hurting. Tears are pouring from my eyes, and the knot in my throat is choking me. I love him. And I miss him so much.

Mostly though, I'm thankful. I'm thankful that I knew him. That I was his granddaughter. His favorite. (Just like the other 7 would say.) I'm thankful that Mike knew him - because if he didn't, he would never understand what kind of marriage we are striving for. I'm thankful that Mike has been crying too - not for my loss, but for his own - and that we're in this together. I'm thankful for my grandmother, who was his best friend in the world, his sweetheart, his other half. I honestly can't imagine one without the other. Now I'm crying for her.......again.

I'm thankful that I got to see him last month for his birthday and that it will always be one of my happiest memories of him - and there are many, many of those. I'm thankful that he had no doubt how much he was loved. I'm thankful that he's not hurting anymore. I'm thankful that he is with God. I'm thankful that I get to share this pain with a family who loves him just as much as me and that we all get to hold one another close and cry together this weekend. Please pray for us all. It will be hard.

9 comments:

Ledbetter Fam said...

I love you, Dana! I'm with you. I want so badly to be able to express in writing just how much he meant to me, but I don't think it's possible.

JB

Jana Kay said...

I keep trying to remember everything! Every Christmas as their house with you girls. Every fishing trip out in his boat. Every ride in the truck. Every bowl of ice cream. But what I keep coming back to is how tightly he held on when went to wake him up. He loved us so completely and grandma so fiercely! And I am so thankfull that Travis wants to be just like him!

Dava Lynn said...

Dana, he was the most beautiful man, wasn't he? The funniest, most loving, most amazing man ever. And, I'm aching with how much I miss him. It will be so good to be together this weekend...to feel like maybe...somehow...he'll see us and know...again...how much he means to us. I love you.

NEIL and MARY said...

There's no doubt in my mind that he knows exactly how much we're hurting and exactly how much we loved him. I'm sorry for everyone who didn't have a chance to know him. - M

Melanie said...

We will keep you in our prayers!!

Amy said...

Oh, Dana. I am so sorry for your lost. You did a great job of telling us what kind of man he was. I am crying for your loss too, but I am sure you and your family will continue to be blessed by him. We will be praying for you during this tearful time.

KT said...

I am so sorry to hear about your loss! I know he was extremely special. And I thought you did a great job memorializing him on your blog. It made me cry and you know I hate that. I'll keep you guys in my prayers.

Montie said...

Dana I saw in your writing immediately that you honored God and your Grandfather in a magnificent way. Your love and admiration for him shows us instantly what kind of man and grandfather he was. You are part of him and both of you are part of God's heart. Together forever..apart of only a short while.
Love you, Montie

Michelle said...

Dana,
I am so sorry for your loss. We will keep you and your family in our prayers.