Sunday, August 5, 2007

M - Salina KS Round 2

Here I sit in the lobby of the Fairfield Inn Salina, waiting again for the fam to awake. This morning after another tasty breakfast at Russells 24hr Cafe and all-around greasy spoon, I explored. I made it through unincorporated little Bavaria, KS as well as Brookville (pop. 395). The most I could find on Bavaria is that its population in 1910 was 110. Today, I'm thinking it is 2, possibly 6 if you count the turkeys I saw milling around in a field next to the 2-lane I was cruising (click the pic to see the turks).

I spent the rest of the morning up until now as I blog, taking pictures and trying to take advantage of the early light. I had a GREAT time in case you didn't know that already. And, the gnats!! Oh my the gnats! These pictures are inadequate to convey to you the gnats!! They were heavily congregated on every downwind side of every tree, bush, and clump of weeds. It was incredible. Who among us hasn't at one point in our life ridden our bike through a cloud of gnats and and gotten a faceful of the annoying little flying pests? HERE is a video in QT format. It is 11mb but for the geekier among us, it's really cool!



Here are some of my favorite pics from this morning. If these don't say "Kansas", I don't know what does!



2 comments:

Ledbetter Fam said...

OH MY GOODNESS! I have never seen that many gnats in one place at the same time. That is incredible.

Juli Beth

Steve said...

Some say don't give up your day job....but those photo's are awesome. You should post them to shutterpoint.