Thursday, October 18, 2007

M - Deployment ceremony for 45th Infantry Brigade

"For over 370 years, a group of people have stepped forward to serve and protect their neighbors, their communities, and their country." -National Guard Recruiting Video

This afternoon I left the office for a 'quick trip' to Norman to support the largest deployment of Oklahoma National Guard soldiers since the Korean War. The ceremony was for 2,400 soldiers from several units of the 45th Infantry Brigade and their families. I'll keep the history lesson very brief but Oklahoma is honored to have one of the most decorated Army units in all of armed history. Patton is quoted as having said of the 45th that it is "One of the best if not the best division in the history of American arms.” Coming from Patton, that means alot! The 45th was also responsible for liberating the Dachau prison camp during WWII.

The speeches today were very weak compared to THIS ONE. Be careful with some of the language though in that youtube link. If you stick with the whole speech I think you'll see how important it was to the troops at the time given the impending Allied invasion of Normandy. For a little saltier (if you can believe it) and historically accurate version click HERE. This last link is text only. I doubt most of you will care to make a study of this whole thing but I find it quite interesting! :-)

My aunt told me that the event was to start at 1400hrs but thank goodness she was wrong! It actually started at 3pm and I needed every extra minute I could get. After I arrived, I-35 was essentially at a standstill because so many people were trying to get to the ceremony. With an hour and 15 minutes before the event was scheduled to start the parking lot was almost already full! It was nuts but how great is it to see that kind of turn out. I sat in the parking lot for over an hour trying to leave and it took me another 40 minutes to get from the OU Campus to Sooner Road and I-240.

Speakers included David Boren and Brad Henry. I've heard Brad Henry speak on multiple occasions and the poor man just HAS NOT gotten any better. With absolutely no political inclinations at all I can honestly say his public speaking skills had nothing to do with him getting elected. What happened Steve Largent!?!?

The singers did an incredible job on both the National Anthem and God Bless America. I was also really impressed with the Oklahoma Army Band...who knew?? During the singing of God Bless America, the lady asked the crowd to join in and it sounded great. It was fun to have everyone participating in such a great song and at a moment like this. The video is rather large but hopefully it will upload and you can get a sense of what it was like.



While I was wandering around outside the Lloyd Noble Arena I ran into a young man that was several years behind me in high school. This was to be his 3rd deployment to Iraq. He volunteered for the 2nd one. The first and third came from being deployed under assignment. During his 2nd tour he volunteered because he was supposed to be going to Kuwait but instead was re-assigned with the infantry in Iraq...NOT a good alternative to Kuwait!

Most importantly, I did get to see Lenny (my cousin) and Amanda before they BOTH deploy, leaving behind their 3yr old little girl Lexi. Talk about tough! I could tell they were both heartbroken. Unfortunately I forgot to get a picture of us together but nonetheless is was great to see him and wish him well. This is the second deployment for both of them.

Here are some miscellaneous pictures I thought you might enjoy.



1 comment:

A. Springer said...

I remember that day. I was there with D-180 from Claremore, OK. We all showed up early due to the early formation time that our unit had and I'm so glad that we did. I was an active Army wife for 9 years and had never seen such a Deployment Ceremony. It was amazing how everyone came together for this day and Operation Holiday homecoming.

Amanda Springer
Military Writer ~ Poet ~ Published Author ~ Novelist ~ Song Writer
http://amandasbooks.webs.com/
Published Books:
"In the Eyes of a Military Wife"
"The Military Support Group"
"Midnight Poems"
"Investigating the Paranormal"