Tuesday, October 9, 2007

D - Camping

A couple of weeks ago I did something that has brought shock and awe to all that I have told about it - I went on my first ever camping trip. Now some (my family) are shocked that I would even consider this. While others (who know Mike) can't believe that I've never been before. Whichever camp you're a part of, the fact is..........I liked it!





The four of us went to Lawton to the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge for a quick overnight trip. Katie and I got the oh-so cushy, comfy (or so I'm told) tent with air mattress while Noah and Mike toughed it out on hammocks in the back of the truck. Before everyone starts emailing with offers of tents to borrow - we have several. The guys just thought this was a good idea. Hmmmmm.......


Anyhow, I wish I had some really entertaining Dana's-first-trip-was-awful stories to tell, but it was just fun. This late in the year the weather was very nice, there were no pesky bugs around our food and I never saw any snakes. It was great. I did learn, however, that the purpose of camping is not actually being able to sleep. I think I was awake far more than asleep that night. I guess if the trip were 2 days instead of just 1, I would sleep much better on night #2 simply because of being so exhausted!



The 2nd day we drove around the wildlife refuge and saw some buffalo, longhorn cattle and prairie dogs roaming about. The guys fished a little while Katie and I climbed some rocks. Chrissey and Kim, I know it's not Colorado, but you should still consider going. It's pretty and would at least give you a hint of the type of fun you enjoy in your homeland!





Oh, and I almost forgot to mention Mike's new invention - the reese's smore. I would have to recommend it as an alternative to the original!


3 comments:

KT said...

I am of the camp who can't believe Mike hasn't gotten you out there before now! I'm proud of you. We've camped there too and it is a fun place but I agree w/ you on the sleeping! I hate not getting any sleep just so I can rough it for "fun"!

Chrissey said...

It looks beautiful! I would settle to go just about anywhere if I could get Nathan to take us camping...that's one thing I don't think I can do myself w/3 children!

Ledbetter Fam said...

I am so proud of you Dana Lee!!! I'm definitely of the camp who never thought this was a possibility. Looks like you guys had a great time.

JB