Saturday, July 28, 2007

M - Roadside emergencies...


...come in many forms.

This little session costs me 4 cents as it took a bribe to get Katie to do what we knew needed to be done. Even better, this roadside detour took about 20 minutes AND took place only about 30 minutes outside of Salina, KS, well before any 'scheduled' stop.

Nonetheless, it was a necessity and I'm glad mammaBoz keeps us prepared for such things. The rest of the drive was quite uneventful for those that have any knowledge of Western Kansas and Eastern Colorado can attest. Lunch included our first of what likely will prove to be many stops at the McDonalds drive-thru.

Colorado is my second-favorite state behind Oklahoma. The mountains are absolutely awesome and I enjoy them every chance I get but personally, I love the plains. I love being able to see what's going on all around and I wouldn't give up the sunrises and sunsets for anything. There is an old Sons of the Pioneers song entitled "Don't Fence Me In" that speaks to just this notion. Bing Crosby sang it also but I like the Sons version best. Here are the lyrics:

Oh, give me land, lots of land under starry skies above,
Don't fence me in.

Let me ride through the wide open country that I love,

Don't fence me in.


Let me be by myself in the evenin' breeze,

And listen to the murmur of the cottonwood trees,

Send me off forever but I ask you please,

Don't fence me in.


I want to ride to the ridge where the west commences
And gaze at the moon till I lose my senses

I can't look at hobbles and I can't stand fences

Don't fence me in.


We saw some spectacular vistas after we entered Colorado and before we could see the mountains. A rainstorm added to the appeal.


While in Colorado Springs we are staying with Dana's friend Susan...true to a Bosley's desired price range for lodging - FREE!

After our arrival I took the kiddos out for a leg-stretching session and wouldn't you know we found water...and wouldn't you know we couldn't resist its siren call...and wouldn't you know we accidentally got wet and muddy...and wouldn't you know we had just a great time!

There was lots of digging and dam building and water re-routing. Noah is well on his way to engineering geekdom, perhaps as a hydraulic or *gasp* Civil Engineer. Nah, he would never do that to me. :-)










We can see Pike's Peak to the west of Susan's apartments. In this picture it is nicely shielded by both man and God's creation, the Goodyear sign and clouds respectively.







We ended the evening with a great view of a full rainbow of which here is a glimpse.

Off today to Garden of the Gods and Santa's Workshop plus other yet-to-be-identified activities.


2 comments:

Dustin said...

Awesome. We've had numerous "roadside emergencies" and glad we take along the portable. Thanks for keeping us updated.

Cindy said...

We feel like we are on vacation with you all. Thanks for keeping us updated with your ventures. Love those portables!