Monday, May 18, 2009

D - Arguing, Mopping and Toilet Paper

My friend Audrey blogged not long ago about why it is that her children argue all the time. For the longest time I counted myself as so lucky because my kids really seemed to enjoy each other. Unfortunately, I have to echo her thoughts today. Mike has been travelling A LOT this year, so I've had the pleasure of spending A LOT of time with my kids lately. AND THEY ARGUE ALL THE TIME!!! About anything and everything. They're driving me crazy!!!

Actually, a funny side note is this. Remember when I blogged about how Katie always notices when I mop the floor? Well, Noah and Mike read that blog and didn't like how I portrayed the men in our family. Since then, Noah races in the house on Tuesday afternoons so he can be the first to notice that I mopped. Funny! and not funny. Katie always winds up upset because he's stealing her thing. Ugh. (Another side note - yesterday she noticed that I put a new brand of toilet paper in the bathroom. She noticed the pretty flower pattern that wasn't on our old paper. So far, the boys have yet to notice that one. I'm pretty sure it's a girl thing.)

Anyhow, I'm open to reading suggestions. I've tried Siblings Without Rivalry and had no success. They have no interest in working things out themselves and would much rather come tattle to me. They're still good kids, and I think I'll keep them, but I could definitely stand some advice!

PS - I think I can hear my parents laughing right now.

3 comments:

Audrey said...

Well, {knock on wood} my kids are getting slightly better. I read Siblings without Rivalry and although I find myself saying 100 times a day, use your words not your actions please, things are better. It's so annoying that they argue over even the smallest worthless things. How about every other Tues they take turns telling how nice the floor looks? Talk about it in the car when you pull in the driveway, okay, this time it's ____'s turn to tell me how nice the floor looks or Noah, how about you look for something else to compliment me on (ooooh, I like that one). Annoying yes, but, it helps. I'm amazed at how my kids are taking turns. A friend on my blog suggested that if they cry or whine when it's not their turn then they have to skip their next turn. That's working like a charm, well, mostly for Carson. Good Luck, I feel your pain!

Ledbetter Fam said...

Oh, I feel your pain!!! I thought it was because they are all boys, but maybe it's just a sibling thing. I'm sure our parents think it's hilarious to watch us experiencing this.

JB

Kari Ann said...

I happen to think it's a sibling and age thing. About the time Bailey was in 1st grade, ahe and Sam started arguing all the time! It hasn't stopped yet cause there are 4 of them ranging from 5 to 13-YIKES! Sorry that's not much help, but I think it will eventually get better.