Wednesday, April 29, 2009

D - Magic Treehouse

When we were visiting my parents' house over fall break in October, my mom (a 3rd grade teacher) recommended to me that I get Noah started on the Magic Treehouse book series. I had thought he was still too young for them, but I got him a couple anyhow. Was I ever wrong! The kid just inhaled them. He read all 40 books by at least January (I can't exactly recall) and has been sad ever since. I've searched for other series and have found a few that he likes, but none that he enjoys as much as this one.

Imagine my excitement when I realized that the Edmond library now has book #41. I excitedly added my name to the reserve wait list and went and picked up the book without ever telling him it was out. If this is what the Bible means when it talks about God liking to give his children good gifts, then that's good stuff. I could hardly wait to see the look on his face.

And it was so worth the anticipation. His mouth dropped open and his eyes bulged out, and he just screamed "MOM!" He was so pumped. He started reading immediately and only put it down when we went into the movie theater to see Monsters vs. Aliens. Even including that 90 minute period when he was in the theater, he finished the book within 3 hours of getting it. It was really fun.

As you can see, he really put it down for nothing.



Not to be outdone, little sister snatched it up the minute he finished it and started reading it too. It stinks to be little when you want to be able to do everything the big kids can!

3 comments:

Cindy said...

Madison's absolute favorite series! We too are on the reserve list during the summers to get it at the library. She usually checks them out from the school. However, she would read them all over again if I did not make her read something more challenging. She read 2 Junie B Jones books tonight. Cam Jones is another good series he might like.

Anonymous said...

Ryley hates to read. it is soooo hard for me to just get him to read his 20 minutes a day. WAY TO GO NOAH!!

Dava Lynn said...

We love MTH, too! But...they never last very long around here! The picture of Noah on the swing made me laugh because I don't know how many times I've seen my boys trying to brush their teeth/make their beds/walk through the house/etc. while reading a book! Noah might like the Cam Jansen mysteries or the A to Z mysteries. Clark has just started the Little House series and has really enjoyed them.