Tuesday, July 22, 2008

D - The 100 Book Bike

I've mentioned a couple of times here in the past that Noah is doing really well with his reading. When he was in school he had a "reader" that each kindergartener was supposed to work on during the year. He completed his before Christmas as he worked hard to be first in his class to finish. After he finished, however, his efforts at reading came to an abrupt halt. It wasn't until his teacher found him a new challenge that he got started again.

Once summer hit, I saw that we were going to have the same problem. I knew he needed some way to compete in order to be willing to pick up a book. Thus was born his summer reading challenge - Read 100 books, and get a new bike. (He was actually due a new bike this summer anyhow since his knees were hitting his handlebars every time he peddled, but no one needs to tell him that!)

Anyhow, he made it! For about a week now he has been riding all over the place, and he is really proud to read over his list of 100 books.





Of course, since Noah got his new bike, Katie has decided that her old bike (and we're talking the bike that Santa gave her 7 months ago) is way too small and that her knees are hitting the handlebars (not even close). She has adopted his old bike and thinks she's a pretty big shot now too.

5 comments:

KT said...

I'm so glad you are encouraging him to read. I read constantly and really feel like it helps w/ your learnin'. HA!

Ledbetter Fam said...

I need to get creative and think of a challenge for Wade. He is exactly the same way, but I have not been able to convince him to read much this summer. He reads little books to his brothers occassionally and he loves to read his Bible, but I want to get him back into reading all the time. I need to think of something fun like that!!!

JB

Cindy said...

Congratulations Noah! Are you all a part of the summer reading program at the library? If not, you should consider it. My kids look forward to it every summer and they have some great incentives!

jessica said...

That's a great idea! I have a hard time getting Jacksen excited about reading as well. I think he would go for that. Do you think it's a boy thing? Jennah loves to read and will do it without me asking.

heather said...

Noah looks so big in these pictures! I can't believe how much kids change in just a year. That is so great that he is a good reader and enjoys doing it too.