Saturday, June 21, 2008

M - Bet you never caught one of these!

So Noah and I went to check a limb line and got quite a surprise. We caught a blue heron!

These things have been known to catch a LOT of small fish around bodies of water in Oklahoma. I was pretty weary of his beak but once I put the towel over his head he didn't budge an inch.

The treble hook was pretty deep in his wing and there was quite a lot of bone showing. I worked the hook back out as gently as I could and shuffled him off into the woods. Hopefully he made it but I guess we'll never know.

We were fishing with a pretty nice size perch just about 4 inches under the surface of the water. I guess the bird saw an easy lunch and got more than he bargained for.


Either way, seeing him was quite a surprise we did not expect!



Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Ledbetter Fam said...

Poor bird!!! I'm glad you were able to get it freed. Tell Noah that Wade is jealous of his big fish! He went fishing with Mom last week and caught 12 fish. He caught two catfish. He was so excited, but now he wants to catch one as big as Noah!

JB