Monday, September 10, 2007

M - I Hope...by Paul Harvey

I've enjoyed this writing from Paul Harvey on numerous occasions over the years. Normally I'd read it when I accidentally came across it on my computer. Today is one of those days when I found it by accident. Now that we have a blog, it is something I'd like to share with those who may have never seen it.

If it means something to you, comment on it. I've seen a calf born as well as had my old dog put to sleep while her head laid motionless in my hands. Oddly enough, I'd say I'm better off for having seen and experienced both.
------------------------------------------------

I HOPE . . . by Paul Harvey

We tried so hard to make things better for our kids
that we made them worse. For my grandchildren, I'd like better.

I'd really like for them to know about hand-me-down clothes,
homemade ice-cream and meat loaf sandwiches. I really would.

My cherished grandson, I hope you learn humility
by being humiliated, and that you learn honesty by being cheated.

I hope you learn to make your bed and mow the lawn and
wash the car. And I really hope nobody gives you a brand new car
when you are sixteen. I hope you have a job by then.

It will be good if at least one time you can see a baby calf born
and your old dog put to sleep.

I hope you get a black eye fighting for something you believe in.

I hope you have to share a bedroom with your younger brother.
And it's all right if you have to draw a line down the middle of the room,
but when he wants to crawl under the covers with you because he's
scared, I hope you let him. When you want to see a Disney movie
and your little brother wants to tag along, I hope you'll let him.

I hope you have to walk uphill to school with your friends
and that you live in a town where you can do it safely.

On rainy days when you have to catch a ride I hope your
driver doesn't have to drop you two blocks away so you
won't be seen riding with someone as uncool as your mom.

If you want a slingshot, I hope your dad teaches you to make
one instead of buying one. I hope you learn to dig in the dirt and read books.

When you learn to use those newfangled computers, I hope
you also learn to add and subtract in your head.

I hope you get razzed by your friends when you have your
first crush on a girl, and when you talk back to your mother that
you learn what Ivory soap tastes like.

May you skin your knee climbing a mountain and stick your tongue on a frozen flagpole.

I hope you get sick when someone blows cigar smoke in
your face. I don't care if you try beer once, but I hope you don't like it.
And if a friend offers you dope or a joint,
I hope you realize he's not your friend.

I sure hope you make time to sit on a porch with your grandpa and go fishing with your uncle.
May you feel sorrow at a funeral and the joy of holidays.

I hope your mother punishes you when you throw a baseball
through the neighbor’s window and that she hugs you at
Christmas time when you give her a plaster of Paris mold of your hand.

These things I wish for you - tough times and disappointment, hard work and happiness.

Written with a pen.
Paul Harvey

2 comments:

Audrey said...

Thanks Boz for sharing that story. It helps so much to put things into perspective. I constantly have to stop and remember, it doesn't matter if my daughter only naps 3 times a day instead of 4, it doesn't matter if my son plays outside with his daddy after bedtime. In the big picture, those small things don't matter. Thanks for helping me remember that!

Ledbetter Fam said...

Thank you! I totally agree with this. I think part of the problem with some of our children is that they have not been taught consequences for their actions and responsiblity in general. I am totally amazed at how little respect children have for adults now and that kids do not have to learn how to take care of themselves because their parents are breathing down their necks ready to rescue them from anything that might cause them hurt!!! Thank you again, for sharing this.