Saturday, September 1, 2007

M - 12th Anniversary Celebration

As I type, I'm sitting at the IHOP downtown OKC by the ballpark listening to Johnny Cash's My Mother's Hymn Book. Every song is sung solo by Johnny Cash with only his acoustical guitar as accompaniment (it's pretty good if you like that sort of thing). This IHOP was a nice 6 block walk from our hotel. There isn't much happening in Bricktown at 0545hrs. Can you imagine? The temp outside was perfect for a walk and thankfully the two young non-gentlemen who felt the need to pepper their entire discussion with the f-word just left the booth next to me.

Dana and I celebrated our 12th Anniversary last night by eating at Nonna's restaurant (financing available!) and staying downtown at the Sheraton. I had big plans for the Skirvin Hotel but the bride tinkered too much with Priceline and ended up hijacking my secret plans! That's okay though. I'm generally very accepting of saving a few, or many, dollars wherever possible! Our anniversary is actually on July 1st but I was traveling for business during that time and this has been our first chance to do anything.

There really is a great feeling with taking time to get dressed up and spending a special evening together. It usually takes about 4 or 5 hours before I start missing the kiddos but it was admittedly nice not to have to wrestle a toothbrush into the mouth of a soon-to-be 3yr old. My mom spent the night at our house last night with Noah and Katie so that we could go out on our own. Thanks mom!!

As far as past anniversaries are concerned, my favorites have been our 5th Anniversary where we went on a guided fishing trip at Broken Bow Lake in Southeastern Oklahoma. It was the bride's idea!!! Don't give me a hard time about that, okay!? Besides the great fishing, highlights of that trip included both of us getting poison ivy and a raccoon scurrying all night in the walls of the little cabin we rented. Dana used to be quite the little fisherwoman, you know. Our cruise in January 2006 was for our anniversary also. We might take a cruise again in the future but it will definitely be during a warmer time of year and maybe a little longer than the 3-nighter we took last time. I might just never be good cruiser because I get a little restless 'couped' up on the ship. Relaxing is not necessarily a strength of mine but I'm trying!

No comments: