Wednesday, April 13, 2011

D - A Poem in my Pocket

I babysit for a friend's daughter a couple of mornings each week and yesterday she showed up all excited about a special thing they were doing at school that day. It was "Poem in your Pocket" day. As an English major and someone who used to do a great deal of reading, I LOVED this idea! So much so that I am now on day 2 of carrying around my own poem in my pocket. I realize that I'm a geek, but I am just loving pulling it out at red lights and reading it over and over.

On day 1 I dusted off my old Robert Frost book and made a copy of "The Tuft of Flowers." Day 2, I've got "Mending Wall." In my enthusiasm, I even forced Mike to read yesterday's poem because it reminds me of him. He didn't get much of it, but found himself thinking, "Maybe I like poetry?" Then I forced him to listen as I went line by line explaining it to him - poor guy!

I admit that poetry was one of my least favorite classes in college. But now that I'm older and perhaps a little wiser, I think I may appreciate it more. It certainly made me slow down a little yesterday and appreciate the beauty around me. I guess today I may have to go build a fence... Regardless, it's been a fun little venture for me. So, thank you, Clegern Elementary!

And remember, "Men work together whether they work together or apart" and "Good fences make good neighbors" - just a couple of little pearls of wisdom for you! :-)

PS - Here's a picture of Katie for those of you who couldn't care less about poetry!

2 comments:

Brittany Elizabeth said...

Tell Mike to count himself lucky. Yesterday I made Michael listen as I read my entire research paper on Kleptomania to him...he said he learned nothing. Awesome! Haha

Unknown said...

The poetry idea is great...but I really like the pic of Katie. (& now that I know about the TV trays, I really love the pic of Katie!)