Sunday, May 4, 2008

D - Fishing for Compliments, An Open Book & Thank You Notes

Regarding my recent post about my not so proud mommy moments, I want to say that I really wasn't fishing for compliments. All of you who were kind enough to comment told me that I am, in fact, a good mom. I REALLY appreciate it, but I don't want any of you to think that's what I was going for.

I just sort of have this open book policy with regards to my shortcomings. This has not always been a good thing in my marriage, because my husband does NOT believe in airing his little imperfections (or anything remotely personal about himself really). I guess I just think that by saying things out loud it opens the door for communication. Likely there is someone else out there who feels exactly the same as me, and now we can talk about it.

Which brings me to a major failure of mine - Thank you notes. I don't know why this is such a hard thing for me. I mean, it seems so simple. Someone does something nice for you, and you take 5 minutes out of your life to write 4 sentences and address an envelope. WHY then, is it that I can't get it done and harbor such guilt???

So, here it is - my guilty list of recent (& not so recent) events that I should have written thank yous for, but didn't.

  • All of the delicious meals delivered to me after BOTH of my children were born. (I know, I know, I'm terrible.)
  • Katie's birthday presents from last year. (Thank you, thank you to everyone for all of the lovely things that now clutter my home!)
  • My calendar that my friend and former co-worker Michelle faithfully delivers to me every year. (Seeing her husband yesterday is actually what sparked this entire train of thought. Sorry, Michelle!)

Well, I can't believe I can't think of more than that. I guess my subconscious may be blocking some of them out. Anyhow, I hope you don't all think less of me now. Wait. Was that fishing again?

2 comments:

Ledbetter Fam said...

Oh my goodness!!!!!! I am the same way. I think about writing thank you notes, but rarely actually follow through with it. I'm glad I'm not the only one!

JB

Jeny said...

Yep! I suck at Thank you notes too! I have a 7 mo old baby and still have not written all the notes from her baby shower! And I just added a birthday party for both boys to the list of unwritten thank yous! I really am grateful! Just really lazy too!