Tuesday, December 4, 2007

M - (a little) Backyard Bottle Rocket Mischief

A handful of bottle rockets and a tiny little rebellious streak. Those were our ingredients for a few minutes this evening. Being the generally law-abiding citizens that we are, we only shot off one bottle rocket over the pond - which makes for a nice BANG and slight echo down the creek.



It might at first appear in the picture below that I have a bottle rocket stuck in my eye. I can assure you that at no time, either before or after the fuse was lit, did I have a bottle rocket stuck in my eye. Had there been an actual bottle rocket in my eye, it might have ruined our fun for at least the rest of the evening. My young apprentice took this picture and I think he did a fine job considering it was pitch dark outside.

Technically bottle rockets are "illegal" in Oklahoma. What does "illegal" really mean in this sense? Is it like those yellow signs with a speed limit that are more just guides for good living than actual black-and-white rules? Mere suggestions, I think. For tonight, I believe the no-bottle-rocket rule is simply a good idea but in no way actually precludes the enjoyment of ye' old beloved pint-size pyro projectile. Besides, we shot this one over a relatively nice size body of water....where's the fire hazard in that, I ask? Play the video below for a first-hand review of the fun.



Turn up your sound to hear the crack of this tiny torpedo (and to hear Noah say "run dad run!"). This sentiment was likely based more out of concern for my safety than for any potential misdemeanor charge or incarceration.

All in all tonight was just some harmless fun amongst the boys. No harm done but certainly lots of fun! :-)

3 comments:

Jana Kay said...

I don't know Mike...your, "Go go go go" makes you sound pretty guilty!! :) I bet that was so much fun!

Dustin said...

We always thought it more fun to shoot the bottle rockets INTO the creek. When they explode underwater (or in the mud) it makes a cool flash and sound. But I agree, it's pretty harmless esp compared to all the rest of the similar fireworks that are similar.

Ledbetter Fam said...

I agree with Jana Kay, you sounded a little guilty! You guys are nuts!!!

JB