Tuesday, March 22, 2011

D - Sweetness and Generosity and Chuck e Cheese

As a reformed sibling-rival, I just love it that my kids get along pretty well most of the time.  It's a relationship that works for both of them.  Noah hates to be alone - Katie always wants to be with Noah because he's her favorite person on earth.  But sometimes they take it to a new level and just really amaze me.

Last week on Spring Break, we travelled to Houston to my parents house with both of my sisters and their kids.  As part of our tradition, we took the whole crew to Chuck e Cheese.  Noah has gotten really bad lately about playing all of what I refer to as the "gambling games" where you just put in a coin and hope that whatever gimmick of that particular game decides to grace you with a lot of tickets.  I cannot convince him what a waste this is since he runs through his coins so quickly and doesn't get to play the games he actually enjoys all for the thrill of getting a $5 toy that he's bored with by the time we get home.

Well, this time was no different.  By the time our pizza had arrived, Noah had one more coin and the other kids had many, many to go.  He was really bummed and sad through his whole meal.  When he finished eating, he slumped off to spend his last token, and Katie came over to me asking if she could please give him ALL of her tokens.  At first I tried to talk her out of it, but then I remembered who I was talking to.  Katie's love language is definitely gifts.  She has such a generous spirit, and I decided not to take away her joy by telling her that Noah had to learn his lesson.

She ran up to him excitedly, and gave him her cup of tokens.  He said, "Thanks," and took off to start playing games.  I stopped him and asked him if he realized what she had just done for him.  When he realized that he was holding all of her coins, he just drooped and said, "I can't take these."  I told him that he had to because it made her so happy to give them to him.  I also suggested that he just check in with her from time to time and ask if she wanted one.

Well, (No, I can't tell a story quickly.)...he forgot to check in with her.  He found me later all sad and hating himself because he had spent all of her coins and never offered her one.  I told him he could repay her by getting her a toy with all of the tickets he earned.  Now it was his turn to be generous.  Once he got up to the counter, he spent ALL of his tokens on her.  I told him he could get himself something, but he was just so anxious to do something kind for her.  It made this mama so proud and that sister so happy!

I am so thankful to God and also to my husband that I have these wonderful kids who constantly teach me lessons about God's love and kindness.  I really learned something that day, and I hope they did to.  What an honor it is to be their mom.

5 comments:

NEIL and MARY said...

Thanks for sharing that story. I can totally see that playing out. They both have such sweet and kind hearts.

Audrey said...

Awesome! I love their sweet spirits!

KT said...

That is the sweetest! No wonder we've gone all soft in our old age. These kiddos are amazing! It's all due to yours and Mike's teaching! Congrats on being such a great parent!!

heather said...

I agree with Kerri. Much of their kindness and generosity must come from learning by yours and Mike's example. Sounds like you are doing a wonderful job as parents and that you are lucky to have two wonderful kids!

Unknown said...

Those two are just adorable! You guys have done a great job with them. Congrats on that!