Thursday, October 30, 2008

D - My Condolences

Unfortunately for me, Katie LOVES imagination play. As a really boring, left-brained thinker, this is torture for me. But since she loves it, I do my best.

Her usual scenario that we repeat daily (many, many times daily), is that she is some sort of animal who suddenly appears at my house. She may be a dolphin, a horse, a puppy, a unicorn, a kitten - regardless of the animal, she is always newly orphaned and must come live with me due to the recent, untimely deaths of her parents.

Well, yesterday I was out running errands with a unicorn named Princess. She is 6 years old and the boss of her brother (named Noah) who is a mere 5 years old. When we stopped the car to get out, she tried to climb out of the van with her deedle-dee (her blanket for any of you who may not know that). I told her she had to leave it in the van, and she replied, "But my mommy always lets me bring it in."

I had to laugh out loud and give a very guilty glance around the parking lot to make sure I was not overheard when I caught myself saying out loud in a rather put-out voice, "Well, I'm SORRY that your mother is dead, but you have to leave the blanket in the car." Yikes! I was soooooo glad no one was around to here me. That might have been hard to explain.

3 comments:

Audrey said...

That made me laugh!

Melanie said...

That's hilarious!

Dava Lynn said...

She's unbelievably funny, Dana!