Monday, June 6, 2011

D - My Kid in Motion

Today the YMCA began the first day of their Kids In Motion summer program.  It offers different activity classes for kids to participate in while their parents are working out, and my kiddos went to it last summer as well.  Noah has really been looking forward to it.....Katie, not so much.  Last year she spent some time in tears over it.  After all, it's intended for kids ages 7-12 and she was.....well....5. 

Her main problem with it is that it is full of little competitive games - relay races, Red Rover, hula hoop contests, things like that.  While she did LOVE the yoga class they offered, she hated those little games.  Because she has an older brother who is INCREDIBLY competitive and athletic, she has been losing every competition she's ever been in for her entire life.  She has NO confidence in herself, and refuses to compete....EVER.  It makes me crazy.  It breaks my heart to see her put herself down and not even try just because she doesn't want to lose.  But I'm on a bit of a tangent here.....

Anyhow, she was dreading it a bit.  I told her to give it a try for just 30 minutes today, and if she hated it, we would just not go on Mondays.  So, she begrudgingly gave it a shot.  She admitted to crying just a little (though she tried her best to fight the tears) when they started playing Red Rover, but the nice college girl told her she didn't have to play, so she was happy then.

Now I'm finally getting around to the whole point of this blog!

When I went to pick her up, the sweet college intern told me that Katie did great, and that "Wow!  She is fast!"  This came as no surprise to me because we've been watching her run down the soccer field for a couple of years now.  Katie was beaming with pride, and she and Noah excitedly told me about how she had run a relay race against an 11 year old boy who had a head start on her, and Katie still beat him!  Noah said more kids were chanting "Katie" than for any other kid out there!

In her pride, Katie, the girl who HATES it when I tell stories about her, informed me that this is a story she doesn't mind if I "put on the internet."  So, there you have it!

2 comments:

NEIL and MARY said...

That's great! Go Katie. I'll have to be sure and ask her about it.

KT said...

Aw, I love that story! I hope she starts to gain confidence! I always felt like that and I hate it that she feels that way so young! Good luck for the rest of the summer!